Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Re-Staining the Deck - The Pressure Wash

The next thing after cleaning the deck was to remove all dirt and old stain. I went to the local hardware shop(Home Depot) and rented a pressure washer. This is one cool thing in the US. One need not buy expensive DIY equipments if it is not used regularly.

Last Saturday I went to rent the washer at 7 PM. I wanted rent only for four hours but use it for more time.My idea was  to make use of the extended daylight in the evenings (until 8:30 PM) and also the early daylight from 5 AM in summer days. The shop closes at 10 PM each day and on sunday opens only at 8 AM. But could not do it because  there was no working equipment(I think this is a trick many do, and the renter knows this and therefore I was told so).

Then on sunday I went at 8 AM rented the equipment. I had taken my Corolla (Toyota) to bring the equipment. When I saw the size and weight I was in doubt if I could bring it. But the rental guy helped.

After bringing the washer home I had to lift it and roll it (it had two wheels in the front) to the deck., Connect the water pipe, start the motor. The pressure of the water coming out was so much that the old stain and all dirt were all gone. One thing I noticed is, if the nozzle is held to close to the wood, it chips the wood.

Finished the cleaning in two hours and returned the washer back to the shop. The deck color now was something totally different. Just like when one has a jeans that got washed after 7 months.

No comments: