Monday, July 12, 2010

Re-Staining the Deck - The first Steps

Many who reside in the US are quite aware of this. Just when one, at some point buys a house and make it a nice home, the maintenance of the house slowly creeps in.  This is in addition to  maintaining a home if the family has kids.

For me, it was replacing the water heater past winter and this summer I have taken up Re-Staining the Deck.

The project, being more of a paining one, is something I wanted to do as DIY(Do It Yourself). The first thing I had to do was find out was what is restaining. Actually I had read about this last year. I had to postpone the project last summer because the season got washed out by rain.

So , the first thing is apart from planning , one should really wish that the summer is dry and warm.

This summer it looks like it is going to be dry.

The first thing I did was to revise the steps I learnt last year, There is a lot of DIY videos in the internet that has good points on how to do the re-staining. I like the notes from This Old House website.

The next step is to clear the deck. I had lots of plants growing in pots on my deck that had to be moved. Some of them came indoor and some are on the lawn .

I then used a broom to sweep the deck clean of other items.

The next step is to Pressure Wash the whole deck

No comments: